The Sisters of St. John of God founded St. John's School in 1927. It began it's life in an army hut in the Presbytery gardens with eleven pupils. Permanent buildings were erected in the 1930's.
In 1950. the formally private school became state-aided. It's popularity meant that it soon became too large for the original site and so expanded to include buildings on Park Street, Innox Hall and the Pratten hut on the Junior site.
In 1968, the main Junior classroom block was completed. After concerted efforts by the school and the parish, a new school hall was built on the Junior site and was completed in 1992.
In 2000, our long-term aim to amalgamate the Infant and Junior departments was realised. The Infants now have a purpose-built block directly joined to the Junior department.
In 2003 we added a Reception playground and additional Reception classroom to the school bringing the total number of classes to eleven.
2005 saw the old mobile classrooms replaced with an ultra-modern block complete with enhanced facilities for art and practical work.
In 2012 a new Foundation stage classroom with outdoor learning area was completed followed by a chapel, library and music rooms.
Although the sisters of St. John left the parish in the summer of 2014, the continuity with the 1927 Foundation continues to live on within our school.